Sunday, December 12, 2010

All Men Should Wear Smoking Jackets...


I have several "All Men Shoulds".

Example 1: All men should have beards or at least not shave for several days. It's hot.

Example 2: All men should be 37 or older (it's when the maturity thing really starts working for you)

Well another should is "the smoking jacket". Although in my research for this post I think it needs to be revised to all men 37 and up (35 if you're mature) because all the models wearing them in the photos I saw looked preposterous.

As I stated, I did a bit of research (wikipedia). Did you know that they were designed to protect men's clothing when they smoked? It would absorb the scent and protect from ash. Did you know that Fred Astaire was buried in his? It's true Wikipedia NEVER lies!!

"In the 1850s, the Gentlemen's Magazine of London defined the smoking jacket as a 'kind of short robe de chambre, of velvet, cashmere, plush, merino or printed flannel, lined with bright colours, ornamented with brandenbourgs, olives or large buttons.'" direct quote from Wiki who took it from Derek McCormack's "Consider the Smoking Jacket". Oh, I do, Derek. I do.

So yeah, Men. Be 37 or older, have a beard, and wear a smoking jacket. Although, with the smoking jacket clean shaven might actually be better, unless it's a really rocking beard. One that said, "I'm a professor with tenure". Ohhh, be a professor!! Or some other profession that commands respect or a lumberjack, because they're okay too.

I may need to refine my What Makes a Man list.

No comments:

Post a Comment