Friday, November 5, 2010

"Until We Meet Again At The Rainbow Bridge"


Is embroidered in gold lettering on the red velvet bag that Wicked's urn was delivered in. I walked in to it sitting right on the bureau, I have by the front door (where I asked my vet to leave it for me). I read that and dissolved. Full on, hyperventilating, heaving, hysterical weeping. I swear I thought I was fine. I didn't know what was in the tube that was in the bag. I didn't know if was part of him or what. I set that aside. There is just a plain, plain, plain wooden box. A pale wood. I don't really like it, but come on. What would I like right now? I just clutched him to my heart and curled up on the sofa in the fetal position and wept and wept and wept. Zoe came up and started licking my tears. I just laid there. Then I finally sat up and just sat, still clutching him to my heart (that was were he died) and stared out the window. I finally pulled myself together enough to see what was in the tube. A certificate that "Wicked" Sidhom was cremated on Nov 1st. Funny, I think that was when I dreamt that they cremated him when he was still alive. Also in there a poem "Rainbow Bridge". Perhaps you have read it. I never had. I called Grandmother and in between sobbing breaths read it to her while she sobbed. I don't know if you have lost a pet, but if you have I hope this makes you feel better too. I don't know what I believe about the afterlife anymore. I really don't. I did; however take comfort in this.

I love you, Wicked. <3



Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

No comments:

Post a Comment