Thursday, March 4, 2010

Saved by Zero


The big 35 is looming and I'm getting 35 shades of introspective lately. I was thinking about how every single thing that I was terrified of, save one (losing my grandparents), has happened to me and how I'm fine. In fact, I'm kind of great. The Fixx's "Saved by Zero" was playing in on the radio when I went to lunch today, and I have really been contemplating it again (I contemplate it for days whenever I hear it).

I found this quote of Cy Curnin's regarding the song:

"...It was about looking at your own life, not so much about amassing material things but about experiences that lend you to be blissful. It's peeling away illusions we pick up along the way. Our identity isn't the suit we wear or the latest gadget. Our identity is the freedom to pick and choose from all aspects of humanity and to make a stand...The song was written from the point of view of the release you get when you have nothing left to lose. It's sort of a meditation. It clears your head of all fears and panics and illusions and you get back to the basics, which is a Buddhist mantra, which I practiced back then, and which I still do. The idea of the song is how great it is to get back to zero."

I really dig that and I beyond get it.

(If you want to hear the song, I moved it to the top of my playlist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment