Sunday, August 29, 2010

'A Perfect World'


I love that movie. It came out when I was 18, and I remember going to the theatre at least three times to see it. I did that a lot in my late teens early 20's. I've always loved going to the theatre alone. I get to be with my favorite thing (cinema) without anyone distracting me (I'm great at tuning out strangers).

Anyway, "A Perfect World". Well first of all if you hear me say 'horseshit' a lot, I got it from Laura Dern's character Sally Gerber who's a criminologist. She's dealing with Eastwood's character a Texas Ranger and this is set in '60's Texas so he's uber good ol' boy how can you have a vagina and actually think for yourself? mentality and she's --- wait for it --- a capable woman. Yeah, so if you see the "horseshit" scene that's were I took up saying it myself.

It's actually the car is a time machine scene that got me to thinking about the film this a.m. Butch (Costner) tells adorable little hostage dude (who Costner is TOTALLY cool to, they develop a great bond) that the car is a time machine. In the rear view mirror is the past, you in the car is the present, and out there in front of you is the future. So he makes the analogy that if anything from the past is bothering you, just press down harder on the accelerator and you'll get to the future faster. (I'm paraphrasing, it's been years since I saw the film). Well I've pretty much lived my life with this line of thinking. I've been so future focused out of a desperate need to leave my past behind.

I'm trying to be more in the now.

(Note: You should see "A Perfect World" if you haven't. It's a great film)

No comments:

Post a Comment