Saturday, May 18, 2013

I'm Writing a Novel...






So you can all get off my back now!!! :)

Given my extremely interesting and unconventional childhood, I have been told since age 8 or 9 that I was going to "HAVE TO WRITE A BOOK SOMEDAY". I really, really hate being told what to do. So I balked at the notion. As my adult life managed to outdo my childhood through a series of bright ideas and brilliant associations (that is dark sarcasm), the material is stacking up quite high.

When you have 7 months and counting of 100% free time on your hands, you can work out the kinks in various ideas you have been knocking around in the back of your head.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I decided I'm more of an essayist. A short-story writer. None of this novel stuff for me. That takes commitment aka The C Word. Nope. I was going to do a book of short stories. Then I haven't. I start. I stop. I start. I stop. It doesn't speak to me. Not now anyway.

There has been one idea that I can't shake. Every time I think of it, I visualize it as a series. Not an American series where an good idea is raped into the ground to mine every drop of inspiration out of it. A BBC series. Three seasons TOPS. Six episodes each. Eighteen small installments to tell the story of this woman. Of the at least 7 or 8 ideas I have, this is the one that I would call my baby. So I have been thinking of it more as a series, and it's starting to take on more and more of a life of its own.

A couple of weeks ago I was really thinking about it. Thinking about how I would soooooo watch this if it was a show. But I would want to have total control over it. I wouldn't want to pitch the idea and let some Hollywood jerkoffs ruin it. Which, if they ever were interested in it, is exactly what would happen. So I was trying to think how to circumvent that. Then it hit me. 18 episodes are 18 chapters. Carla. You have your novel.

So there you have it. I'm writing a novel.


You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment