Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father’s Day

Last year the day landed the week after Grandfather passed. I was worried about today, but after the grief-fest of the last few weeks (Freudian slip, I accidentally wrote years because that is far more accurate).

I’m doing well. Nice to see friends’ posts of their fathers. It’s so wonderful how many people have loving, caring parents. For the rest of us, it’s wonderful that other people stepped in to give us that as my Grandparents did for me.

This year has really shown me how much Grandfather was the patriarch. His abscense is staggering. On the anniversary of his passing, this photo I took 3 years prior at a convention popped up. I remember being very struck by the oddness of being all alone in this huge hall. There should have been a few people around but there weren’t. It now feels like a premonition of what this past year held. Amazing who stood by and helped and who vanished.

The world feels like this hall now, with the ubiquitous empty chair.

I will always miss you, Grandfather. Happy Father’s Day

1 comment: